@naijatreksinfo@naijatreks.com

A Kenyan and Egusi soup- “I couldn’t but lick my fingers!”

Post 222 of 232

Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup.©pracant7.siam.im

Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup

I know by the time you hit the end of this post you’ll definitely say this Kenyan girl has gone “kolo” but I can’t help it.  I just love Nigerians and the most shocking part of it is that every time I think of them I think about their food – hot and spicy and the hotter and spicier the better for me!
My fixation with Nigerians started with my first bite of Egusi soup and pounded yam.  You ask how that happened since yet in the life of me, I have never put my size-6 feet on the soil of Nigeria.  Well, those are part of my 2011 goals and please Papa God, make it happen oo!  Okay, I was talking about my first bite of Egusi soup and pounded yam…well, it happened at my best friend’s house some 10 years ago.  My best friend, Martin had a Naija girlfriend who later became his wife – thank God and since he wanted me to approve her before he popped the good question, he invited me to his place for lunch.  I have known Martin for as long as I know myself and I never knew him to cook, leave alone boil water but he kept on insisting saying that he had a major surprise for me.  Poor me, I braced myself for the worst and at exactly 12.30pm I was knocking on the door to his 3 bedroom apartment in a Nairobi suburb estate.  The door opens and then…

…yes, the most awesome, tantalizing, so ever sweet and spicy smell invites me into the apartment.  Anyone who knows me know I love to eat (will not apologize for that) and eat not just any food but great food and if I may say so myself, I’m a pretty great cook too!  To be honest, I quickly hugged Martin, mumbled a few words (can’t remember what they were for the life of me) and went straight to the kitchen.  To cut the long story short, I made a bee hive to the pots on the gas cooker, opened the first one and I soaked myself in the sheer pleasure of the most tantalizing smell coming from that pot.  I quickly grabbed a spoon and eat my first bite of Egusi soup.  Gosh, it is hard to explain the sensations I felt as I savored that first taste…the combination of the spices, hot pepper, water melon seeds, spinach, dried fish and beef cooking in Palm Oil was just HEAVENLY.  I didn’t even realize that my eyes were closed until I opened them and found myself staring at the most beautiful, chocolate Nigerian woman and I was totally floored!  Chichi, my beautiful Naija angel didn’t need me approving her to get married, the meal of Egusi soup with pounded yam that I had for lunch that afternoon did all the approving she needed.

Two weeks later, my new best friend taught me how to cook Egusi soup and pound yam – that was something else.  I will not pretend it was easy but I can promise you since then I’ve become an expert at both, pounding the yam and cooking the Egusi soup and many other Naija dishes.  I’m sure my list would have become longer if not for Martin and Chichi relocating to USA after their marriage – what a damper.  I miss them but then, I still have my Naija meals to comfort me when I get lonely.

My wahala is discovering where I can get Naija spices in Nairobi!  So to all those my Naija people out there, can someone hook this Ken-Naija sista up with the spices?

Until next time I remain your one and only Ken-Naija sista,

Suzan Mwadime,

CEO, Kivuli Holidays and Conferences
www.kivuliholidays.com

Share with friends..Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on RedditDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

, , ,

This article was written by suzan

16 comments:

femmyextra@yahoo.com' femmyextraJanuary 11, 2011 at 11:56 pmReply

This is sweet!! :) 😀 :O I so so soo love write up. We will surly welcome you and treat you to some other magical 9ja foods when you come. I have to admit you made my mouth water by that lovely writeup. God bless 9ja, God bless Kenya

suzan@kivuliholidays.com' SuzanJanuary 12, 2011 at 6:58 amReply

Great picture Fola – you’ve just made me so very hungry. I am hoping I will soon get someone to hook me up with the 9ja spices – this is a desperate situation ooo my people!

gina_gikori@yahoo.com' Geena WestJanuary 12, 2011 at 12:24 pmReply

Suzan this is a beautiful write-up. Makes my mouth water just by reading!! For you to describe a meal this well, it must have simply been out of this world!

Basi tukaribishe na sisi tuonje Egusi na peppe soup. Sawa?

omidiji_ronke@yahoo.com' Ronke OmidijiJanuary 12, 2011 at 2:14 pmReply

WOW !!!

This write up is “Bam” (beautiful!!!)
You are already a Naija babe oo, you can even cook it?!
I am impressed!!!
And yes! Reading it made my mouth water too.
Expect better delicacies when you come visiting.

Folarin KolawoleJanuary 12, 2011 at 5:38 pmReply

@ Femmyextra, suzan and me…loll…thanks for your comments…hunger hooked my bowels too just at the instant I finished reading the article..loll
@ Geena West…yes iyan and egusi soup is totally out of this world!! …you sound like a great lover of food like me…loll

suzan@kivuliholidays.com' SuzanJanuary 13, 2011 at 7:45 amReply

@Femmyextra: thanks for the comment and God bless 9nja too (my other motherland).
@Geena West: thanks gal – trust you to discover me on NaijaTreks – thanks for the comment and support – gal you are truly a friend after my heart. Don’t worry, next time I decide to take a break from work and school and decide to be the Nigerian Wiz-kid in the kitchen, I will holla and you come over and help me indulge in the mmmh, so delicious Naija delicacies. My next attempt is “Ila-Asepo” or Okra Soup for you Kenyan lady. That with pounded yam will make you go gaga!
@Me: thanks for the comment and yes ooo, can’t wait to come and visit my motherland and I may just decide to stay if I get what I’m looking for – tehehehehe
@Fola – you are simply the best and yes Geena West is a gal after my heart – she and I practically grew up next door…remember those days Geena?!

All of you people, can someone tell me which what is “kaun”? and where can I get “Goya Adobo” Seasoning or what alternative can I use?

Thanks my people.
Suzan

Folarin KolawoleJanuary 13, 2011 at 10:31 amReply

@ Suzan…Oh my gosh!….you know “Ila asepo” too?……omg!…loll…you are totally unbelieveable!

suzan@kivuliholidays.com' SuzanJanuary 14, 2011 at 12:25 pmReply

@Fola, told you I’m totally NAIJA and loving it!

Moloney650@gmail.com' ???January 20, 2011 at 10:13 pmReply

Your style is so unique compared to many other people. Thank you for publishing when you have the opportunity,Guess I will just make this bookmarked;3$

Javaux683@google.com' Delsie CondinoJanuary 24, 2011 at 1:00 amReply

It’s arduous to find educated folks who can write descriptively on this type of topic, however you sound like you really know what you’re talking about!

jennifer79@gmail.com' SalomeJanuary 25, 2011 at 2:29 amReply

Lovely… just what I was looking for.

sage79@gmail.com' MellisaJanuary 25, 2011 at 9:10 pmReply

Just want to say your article is awesome. The clearness in your post is simply great and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

nyla79@gmail.com' TrishaJanuary 26, 2011 at 7:36 pmReply

Thanks for putting up. -Trisha

dolly79@gmail.com' MollyJanuary 31, 2011 at 3:58 pmReply

I really prize your piece of work, Great post. -Molly

elajikhamisi@yahoo.com' lolitaFebruary 21, 2015 at 4:08 pmReply

I no fit shout….. As i dey like dis i miss egusi soup ooo….i miss my naija pple from russia. Anyway where can I get da spice n egusi itself in kenys…abeg help ur sister

antonypere@yahoo.com' tonyDecember 9, 2015 at 1:04 pmReply